So, I've been trying to come up with ways to eat dry beans in summer. Everyone knows that beans and rice are a super great meal (unless you're carb restricted). They are:
- low fat
- low GI
- extremely filling
- a complete protein without meat
- very inexpensive
- easy to prepare
So, I've had "black bean and corn salad" and this is really just a thrown together version of that. I used a bag of 15 bean soup (without the packet of gross seasoning) and lots of produce from my garden. I really enjoyed the different flavors and textures of all those beans. And I had way more ideas for ingredients that I would love to add if I had them! I'll list them at the bottom of the recipe.
Enjoy a filling, low fat, fresh and cool bean salad for dinner, as a side dish, leftovers for lunch - anytime!
Summer Bean Salad
1lb bag of beans (I used 15 bean mix, but black beans are a natural here)
1 ripe tomato, chopped (or 2 if you're a big fan)
1 cucumber, quartered and chopped
2 cobs corn, cut off the cob (or about 1C frozen, thawed)
1 bell pepper, chopped
1 large can black olives, chopped or sliced
salt & pepper to taste
about 1/2C balsamic vinegrette
- Cook your beans - rince and sort out any bad beans, then cover with about 2 inches water. Add some salt - stirring it in later will help, but it's not quite the same. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer until beans are done. It will be a shorter time than for bean soup, and you want the beans to hold their shape, not go mushy. Mine needed about 1.5 hours or so. Set a timer to start checking them early.
- Drain in a colander, spread the beans up the sides and set the colander on a plate and put it in the fridge until cold. Mine got about 2 hours and were cold enough.
- Chop all your veggies
- Pour the beans, veggies, seasonings and dressing in a large bowl and toss gently - try not to crush the beans.
- If your beans were nice and cold, you can eat it now. Or, refrigerate for an hour up to a few days!
- Serve with bread and butter or crackers to complete the protein (other foods will also work!!)
- diced ham
- shredded chicken
- feta, goat cheese, Parmesan
- chopped avocado
- onion of some type (maybe green onions or chives?)
- leftover cold rice (complete that protein! Add extra dressing to soak in)