Wednesday 21 May 2008

Out of This World Chocolate Syrup

I found this recipe floating out on the internet, because they don't have Hershey's Chocolate Syrup here in the UK. Chocolate milk is a favorite for both Matt and I, and Hershey's Syrup was a staple at home. Now, Matt tells me that I'm not allowed to buy Hershey's, even when we get back to the states because this is so much better. Once you taste this, Hershey's won't taste like Chocolate anymore. Seriously... try them side by side on your finger... And, of course, no corn syrup or chemical preservatives. I use this syrup to make wonderful chocolate milk, and just mix it up stronger and heat it in the microwave or over the stove for hot chocolate. And don't even get me started about when I poured it over homemade French Vanilla Ice Cream and fresh strawberries...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Out Of This World Chocolate Syrup

1/2 cup cocoa (any brand)
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 dash salt

  1. Whisk together cocoa, sugar, and salt in a medium heavy saucepan(make sure it's larger than you think you'll need). Add water and mix until smooth.
  2. Bring this mixture to a boil. Allow it to boil for 2 minutes after it comes to a rolling boil (use a timer - don't guess). Be careful this does not boil over.
  3. Remove from heat, and when cooled add vanilla. Will appear really runny but will thicken up as it cools.
  4. Stores (from what I can tell) rather indefinitely - covered in the fridge. If you have a large, empty Hershey's bottle, you can double the recipe and put it in there!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

If you told me about this, I forgot! How cool! I have been searching for a corn-syrup-free chocolate syrup ...