This recipe was based loosely off another, but bears no resemblance to the original. It's beefy chili in a skillet with loads of veggies and a golden herb-cheese biscuit top. You only use "one" of each ingredient! It happened that way accidentally, I promise!
"One" Skillet Chili
1lb ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 zuchinni, chopped
1 yellow squash, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
1T minced garlic (or 1t garlic powder)
1 12oz can diced tomatoes (fire roasted is nice!)
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1t each - oregano, cumin, parsley, chili powder, salt
1 recipe of cheesy garlic-herb biscuits
1 C shredded cheddar cheese
Cheesy garlic-herb biscuits:
2C all purpose flour
1T baking powder
1t. crushed rosemary
2t. minced/crushed garlic
1/2C shredded cheddar cheese
1 1/2C milk
- Heat oven to 400. In a large (I used a 12" cast iron - it barely all fit!) oven-proof skillet, begin to brown the meat. As you get the veggies chopped, add them too. (if you don't have an oven-proof skillet, grease a medium casserole dish) Add both tomatoes and spices. Simmer 15 minutes, until veggies are beginning to soften. Transfer to casserole if you need to.
- For biscuit topping - mix together dry ingredients, spices and garlic. Cut in shortening until it resembles fine crumbs, then stir in cheese and milk. This should be much softer than regular biscuits. Spread evenly over hot beef mixture.
- Bake for 45 min. It may look done before that, but test the biscuit middle to be sure before taking it out. Sprinkle with 1C cheese during last 5-10 minutes to melt and brown.
- For regular roll-out biscuits, use only 3/4C milk. Enjoy!
- Next time, I'll try simmering the skillet with the biscuits on top for about 10 minutes before putting it in the oven - to give the biscuit bottom a head-start on cooking.
- It barely fit into my 12" skillet, and overflowed a tiny bit while baking. I need a bigger skillet, or a casserole.